suggestions request for PDF/A and image file conversion / reduction package
af
2014-12-06 15:49:58 UTC
Hi all

I wanted to ask if anyone knows / has used a library for Delphi with which to can make the conversion (in terms of DPI) to reduce the size of a PDF file
and for convert and image file (bmp or jpj) into pdf/A

I'm considering the possibility of acquiring images using any TWAIN (do not know if there is any tool that would save directly into PDF / A) and the scanned image with a second tool to reduce in case of need the file size.

I will need to manage this PDF into a firebird DB / BLOB fields.
I am reflecting (worried) on the issue i could risk in case the space occupance
that each single PDF file e could take risking to have with the time a disproportionate DB size

as I understood, with FB stored on an NTFS (latest generation) in theory there is no limits except the physical HDD.
I will check also the file size before to insert the PDF into DB but before this i would like to handle the dimensions.

someone told me about Gnostice (but i dont know if have scanning functionality and image reductions) and pdf engine (that is open source)

Anyone knows / has never used tools conversion (and even scan directly to PDF /A)?

thanks
Alessandro
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.
2014-12-06 22:20:21 UTC
Post by af
[...]
If you write a little program that loads your large images, you can use
the Jpeg format which has a quality property. This allows the object to
save the Jpep into a lossy format but still keep somewhat of it's
look. This results in a smaller amount of data to store.

If always just whipped up a simply app with a slider that you can load
the original image in a fixed image object and then copy it over to a
compressible format and show it on the screen, there by adjusting the
quality and monitoring the data storage size.

As for putting them on a database, I've found it better to simply store
an index in the db, the index would point to a manageable table that has
paths set up to get the image directly from the file system or from some
remote server etc.

Jamie